Thursday, December 23, 2010

Second National Bank and Wikipedia

It is amazing to me the number of people who do not like Wikipedia.  Usually it is people who do not understand the back checking that goes on, but I believe it is a great starting point or, in many places, an adequate replacement for textbooks.  Here is one example on the Second National Bank and its fight with Andrew Jackson.  What is more interesting to me is that the state of VA has taken it off its end of the year exam - but that's another story.

3 comments:

A. Yepiz said...

Good point on wikipedia. I always go there as a starting point to anything I may not be familiar with in history.

I have also read in the past that studies have shown that there is no difference in errors found betwen Britanica and other encyclopedias.

Becky Lutzke said...

True, it is a great tertiary website for starting. However, due to the ability to leave and edit extraneous information into it most colleges and competitions for history related work will not accept it. It is a great starting point which I allow my students, but their final work must come from different sources.

sociology dissertation writing help said...

Great post! I love how you explained cartoon animation in such a simple and understandable way.